Date Assigned: 6-19-07 (Tues)
Date Due: 6-26-07 (Tues)
"Of all mythic creatures that rise from the water, prowl across land or fly through the air, the dragon is the most famed. Stories of serpentlike beasts with fabulous powers inspire awe in almost every part of the world."- Mythic Creatures exhibt
There are several types of dragons that exist. Specifically, in the Harry Potter universe there are 10 known species. They are:
Chinese Fireball (Liondragon)
Common Welsh Green
Beyond the scope of Harry Potter, dragons are also known in other instances. "The Eastern Dragon, sometimes called Lung (in China) or Long (in Vietnam), may almost seem like a completely different creature than the Western Dragon. Not only their anatomy, but also their behavior, their symbolism, and what they mean to the society they effect. The East seemed to value dragons for their magic and beauty. They were held with high respect from the people in the East. However, this view is drastically changed in the West, where dragons were viewed as monsters."
One of Ron's older brothers works with dragons and brought some over for the Triwizard tournament. Hagrid also had a dragon egg for a short time which hatched but he had to get rid of it. Along with these two characters, Dumbledore found 12 uses for dragon blood. Also, in the wizarding world there are 4 dragon reserves. They are in Romania,
Hebrides, Wales and Sweden.
Each question is worth 2 points.
1. Name the 10 types of dragons in Harry Potter.
2. What type of dragon did Fleur have to battle?
3. Which of the Weasley's work with dragons?
4. Which culture fears the dragon?
5. Which culture has respect and awe of dragons?
6. True or false: You can own a dragon in the wizarding world.
7. What did Hagrid named his dragon?
8. What are the four locations of dragon reserves?
9. Which reserve is known as a research center, home to many dragons?
10. Who found 12 uses for dragon's blood?
Review (5pts) What do Abraxan drink?
Extra Credit (10pts) Draw your favorite dragon in MS Paint :)